Main Menu

What Do You Do For An Encore? - Pulp Film Thread

Started by eamonn, Jul 23, 2026, 04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eamonn

I think for the likes of us, something comprehensive would not be commercial enough to make a film out of! Especially if it's primarily a concert film with cute narrative and archive bits in between.

I was curious as to how they'd manage both elements when it was said they were going through the archives.

Having chosen that way of doing it, and sticking to an economic running time, I don't think it could have been done much better. And for me, it's more watchable this way than if it had been a pure concert film with the 7 or 8 missing live songs.

I loved the use of photos and press cuttings overlaid on the screen and the animated drawings of Good Pop Bad Pop and the band timeline coming to life. All very appealing visually and faithful to the Pulp scrapbook ethos.

One thing I mentioned in my spoiler review (hidden above) is that if there was a glaring omission, it was a bit more chat and archive about the breakthrough years.

My brother watched it with me last night and he said he felt the pacing was off as the rise to success was quickly narrated and he'd love to have seen Countdown.

Obviously they didn't play that live but I do agree that the performance of OU or Acrylic Afts (Razzmatazz too if it had been performed) could have been added to flesh-out the giddy '92 to '94 years more.

liltman

Yeah, they missed a trick by not talking more about the early 90s... I thought they might during the Barry White segment... they could have had fun with the link between his space obsession/Countdown etc.

What I'd give to get my hands on all the archive footage... they did a great job and the surprises in your spoilered review were lovely. I don't think I've seen that clip of the 2011 reunion sugar conversation before, it was great to see Russell sat with them and I want to see more!

The animation of the band was nice and I think Jennings was a great fit for the tour and this film. He seems like a lovely guy.

I enjoyed the 2012 film too and I think it's nice to have two very different approaches to the two reunions.

Grateful more than ever for Sturdy's book though - would be great for a TV equivalent - though as was said earlier here, they don't seem to want that. Maybe something for the 50th anniversary?

eamonn

The Catcliffe sugar chat was from the 2005 BBC documentary The Story of Common People:

https://youtu.be/h3wUANrCwmU?si=Qn7MaF-8LyBRfshQ

saw119

#53
Quote from: eamonn on Sep 19, 2026, 10:56 AMThe Catcliffe sugar chat was from the 2005 BBC documentary The Story of Common People:

https://youtu.be/h3wUANrCwmU?si=Qn7MaF-8LyBRfshQ
And that's one of the best Pulp docs out there. They used an awful lot of No Sleep Til Sheffield in the new film. I might give Fanfare For The Common People another watch. There was a weird section where it was 1980 then it was 1985 and then it was 1981! I suppose only idiots like us notice that though.
Anyway, I snapped this on my early walk to work this morning

It's just up the road from where the former venue of the Ritblat club used to be.
Where Pigeons go to die

liltman

Quote from: eamonn on Sep 19, 2026, 10:56 AMThe Catcliffe sugar chat was from the 2005 BBC documentary The Story of Common People:

https://youtu.be/h3wUANrCwmU?si=Qn7MaF-8LyBRfshQ

So it was! Shame on me, it's ages since I've seen that

eamonn

I noticed the same on the jump cut from '81 to '85 but I guess that can be explained by the lack of footage of any type til '85 which is a real pity. Sounds like they scoured the archives and that the "It" era will forever be under-served for moving image and live audio.

JohnPaul_II

Did anyone make it to Bar Italia to see the guys hanging around there? Apparently after the screening they all went there for a drink. Can't imagine they wouldn't have been mobbed. Maybe it was for a photoshoot or something?

Shame, as an adopted Italian I can vouch for the quality of the coffee in that place. Always worth a detour whenever I'm in central London.

saw119

Quote from: JohnPaul_II on Sep 19, 2026, 12:44 PMDid anyone make it to Bar Italia to see the guys hanging around there? Apparently after the screening they all went there for a drink. Can't imagine they wouldn't have been mobbed. Maybe it was for a photoshoot or something?

Shame, as an adopted Italian I can vouch for the quality of the coffee in that place. Always worth a detour whenever I'm in central London.
I went there in the mid 90s and had a coffe there at 2 in the morning. Good coffee but it was heaving.
Where Pigeons go to die

eamonn

#58
Yeah, had a look-in about half an hour after the Q&A. Nick was on the pavement outside and I could see Miranda Sawyer in the doorway. Looked very much exclusive. Here's my brother posing outside.

HoltbyCity

I've only seen it once, but are a couple of the songs not from the London gig, but other shows on the tour?  The first thing I noticed was continuity issues - Jarvis going from fairly clean shaven to more stubly and I think a jacket/shirt colour change too.  I don't know if e.g. This Is Hardcore was possibly inserted from Birmingham a few nights later (where there were also cameras)?

saw119

Quote from: HoltbyCity on Sep 21, 2026, 09:03 AMI've only seen it once, but are a couple of the songs not from the London gig, but other shows on the tour?  The first thing I noticed was continuity issues - Jarvis going from fairly clean shaven to more stubly and I think a jacket/shirt colour change too.  I don't know if e.g. This Is Hardcore was possibly inserted from Birmingham a few nights later (where there were also cameras)?
He definitely wears two different outfits on stage during the film. One is predominantly blue and one predominantly brown. They played 2 nights at the O2 and I just presumed they used performances from both nights in the film.
Where Pigeons go to die

Fran

So much for "one night only" - I'm off to my local cinema in a few minutes. Should be fun!

saw119

Quote from: Fran on Sep 21, 2026, 05:25 PMSo much for "one night only" - I'm off to my local cinema in a few minutes. Should be fun!
So, what did you think?
Where Pigeons go to die

Cehora

QuoteHe definitely wears two different outfits on stage during the film. One is predominantly blue and one predominantly brown. They played 2 nights at the O2 and I just presumed they used performances from both nights in the film.
They all wore the same outfits both nights, but Jarvis changed his during the intermission. The first night, a camera was on one side of the stage, and the second night it was on the other. So I suppose they combined footage from both nights.

lucyduck

I couldn't make it on Wednesday night (Canada), can't wait to see it on Mubi tomorrow.  ;D
Won't it be strange when we're all fully grown

arrgee



https://mailchi.mp/811e1a9d55ec/you-deserve-more-pulp-live-18004516?e=3efff6c7e8

Pulp - What Do You Do For An Encore? Out Now on MUBI


Following premieres in London and New York, the Garth Jennings-directed film is now available for streaming.

Exclusive FREE access for Pulp fans!!!

lucyduck

I love the film. Really great. It sounds great. Do they consider release the O2 concert or this movie for dvd or blueray?!  :P
Won't it be strange when we're all fully grown

HoltbyCity

Quote from: arrgee on Sep 25, 2026, 06:38 PMhttps://mailchi.mp/811e1a9d55ec/you-deserve-more-pulp-live-18004516?e=3efff6c7e8

Pulp - What Do You Do For An Encore? Out Now on MUBI


Following premieres in London and New York, the Garth Jennings-directed film is now available for streaming.

Exclusive FREE access for Pulp fans!!!


The opening segement in the taxi seems to be missing - presumably that was for cinemas only (and may reappear on the DVD)?

eamonn

The taxi talk is on Youtube - Mubi put it up the other day before the film started streaming.

Jarvis was in NY for the American premiere on Thursday night and there was another Q&A there which will probably be uploaded at some point.

Curious as to what they put on the blu-ray, assuming it happens.

The missing songs from the O2 gigs, surely?

Were there fan interviews at both the O2 and RFH shows?

I'd love if there was a segment of interviews with the new Pulp five. I don't think I how any of them sound apart from Emma who I once met.

And archive... I guess the obvious ask is more footage from the Chesterfield '86 gig with Jarvis in a wheelchair which the Dogs Are Everywhere clip in the film is taken from. It looks a lot more viewable than the black and white footage live from "Gotham City" (also Chesterfield?) that came with The Beat Is The Law DVD. That also contained wonderful clips from a Leadmill '91 show which is now probably the earliest existing video of the classic Pulp sound available commercially - replete with Jarvis' chicken jumper.

saw119

Quote from: eamonn on Sep 26, 2026, 09:28 AMThe taxi talk is on Youtube - Mubi put it up the other day before the film started streaming.

Jarvis was in NY for the American premiere on Thursday night and there was another Q&A there which will probably be uploaded at some point.

Curious as to what they put on the blu-ray, assuming it happens.

The missing songs from the O2 gigs, surely?

Were there fan interviews at both the O2 and RFH shows?

I'd love if there was a segment of interviews with the new Pulp five. I don't think I how any of them sound apart from Emma who I once met.

And archive... I guess the obvious ask is more footage from the Chesterfield '86 gig with Jarvis in a wheelchair which the Dogs Are Everywhere clip in the film is taken from. It looks a lot more viewable than the black and white footage live from "Gotham City" (also Chesterfield?) that came with The Beat Is The Law DVD. That also contained wonderful clips from a Leadmill '91 show which is now probably the earliest existing video of the classic Pulp sound available commercially - replete with Jarvis' chicken jumper.
I know it will almost certainly never happen but I'd really love to see all of the Day That Never Happened footage. I'm just not sure in what context they could actually release this old footage. There was no Hole Dolebusters footage in the movie.
Where Pigeons go to die

FarmerMatty

Watched the movie last night, felt quite emotional at the end and during the bit about Steve, he was such an inspiration for me growing up.

It made me appreciate how good the live 'show' looked, I saw them at Tramlines (and it was incredible) but to see them with the full light show and visuals was mega.

Loved the fact it really locked in with Good Pop / Bad Pop style as it made it a very unique style in terms of a concert film/doc. Come to think of it there were segments that could have fit in well with the shorts from (not gunna type it properly, Feeling Called Live.

Anyway, my free Mubi subscription has been cancelled now (sorry Mubi, you have been wonderful though).

JohnPaul_II

Just finished watching and... me and the other half laughed out loud a few times at just how overt and preposterous the autotune on Jarvis's voice is at some points.

Its a really well put together, lovely little concert film. With audio post production so bad it's comical.

hawalius1

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this, since it was pointed out on the album versions. You can largely isolate Jarvis's vocals from the 5.1 soundtrack of the film (they're in the centre channel), and they do sound extremely odd.

weej

Saw this in the cinema last week and absolutely loved it. Don't want to compare to the previous film, which I wasn't so keen on, but it was exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Pip

Quote from: JohnPaul_II on Sep 26, 2026, 10:55 PMJust finished watching and... me and the other half laughed out loud a few times at just how overt and preposterous the autotune on Jarvis's voice is at some points.

Its a really well put together, lovely little concert film. With audio post production so bad it's comical.

Quote from: hawalius1 on Sep 27, 2026, 04:35 PMI haven't been able to stop thinking about this, since it was pointed out on the album versions. You can largely isolate Jarvis's vocals from the 5.1 soundtrack of the film (they're in the centre channel), and they do sound extremely odd.

Oh God, you're not wrong. The Mis-Shapes chorus ("We want your homes...") sounds ridiculous. What the f**k were they thinking?! Jarvis has a vocal style that defies auto-tune! We love it *because* it's raw and real.

Also sad to see the archive material has inevitably been AI-processed, introducing some distracting artefacts. Example: there's a shot of Jarvis on stage at the Mercury Prize '96 where a camera flash causes his features to jump halfway up his face for a (literal) flash frame.

The concert footage looks great though, so I'll give it a proper viewing soon.

Lipglossed

Autotune and AI - dear god, somebody at Pulp HQ please put the tech down!

hawalius1

One thing I was pleased to notice about the film was the inclusion of music from all of Pulp's career, from Red Rhino to Fire, Island to Rough Trade... proving that the licensing rights can be sorted out.

Let's have that anthology!

eamonn

Excellent point! Do it.

Tonight's the night...

Ian

Quote from: hawalius1 on Sep 29, 2026, 07:15 PMOne thing I was pleased to notice about the film was the inclusion of music from all of Pulp's career, from Red Rhino to Fire, Island to Rough Trade... proving that the licensing rights can be sorted out.

Let's have that anthology!

Also, despite this reunion being longer and much more high profile than the last one, Fire haven't released anything. Presumably, they ran out of unreleased material when the 2012 reissues came out so have nothing left to offer. Therefore, piggybacking on an Anthology released by Rough Trade would be worth their while.
Check out www.feelingcalledlive.co.uk for live shows, demos and rarities.

lucyduck

@Pip you have good eyes and ears. I'm gonna pay attention about the details when watch the second time before I cancel Mubi. Ya NO auto tune and AI, please.  :( 
Won't it be strange when we're all fully grown

Frisko2000

Ya I also found the autotune to be distracting. And the ai backdrop of rotating pulp cans for common people was not my favourite.


Pip

Quote from: lucyduck on Sep 29, 2026, 07:58 PM@Pip you have good eyes and ears. I'm gonna pay attention about the details when watch the second time before I cancel Mubi. Ya NO auto tune and AI, please. :( 

I'm a nerd, I live to spot these things! In all seriousness, I could live with the visual tinkering as it's not the main selling point: deliberately messing with Jarvis's vocals is a step too far.

zaqx

Quote from: eamonn on Sep 30, 2026, 11:25 AMPhysical release confirmed - on 3 different formats. 4k looks lavish but most importantly, looks like there are no extras on the disc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0HL11RZRS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1ZK0RZBUK2H6S&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.0n-eb5MTSakz1K_sCxm5shtIcfSC0jYHSELAt-IBYniMZq3FrcJw45nVgUCUiaT1.nYjcrnupFF2ZipVykbzQitLlQC7s9LEw-INPx45pGds&dib_tag=se&keywords=pulp+encore&qid=1790763843&sprefix=pulp+envore%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-1

Looks like it has been updated to say 'exclusive extras' on the 4K & DVD description, wonder what they are? Maybe the interviews at RFH????

weej

Very much a boilerplate list of extras which suggests they don't know yet. Assuming the taxi chat will be in there.

Extras:

- Exclusive Digipak packaging (UHD SKU only)

- Poster (UHD SKU only)

- Exclusive video extras

Jean

Delighted there's a digital release as I missed out on the cinema event and I can't be messing around with streaming services. I don't have the energy for it. So much easier to walk into a shop and buy something!

Violin_Thing

#86
Sorry for the late update.

I was at the premiere, I got a pictire with Candida. It was my birthday and she remakred how many Virgos are in the band and if it meant anything. It was much louder than at the preview, most of the seats were for the band (who I man managed to say hello to all of!) and guests. I commented to Adam Betts on the wayout how nice it was to see him singing along every cocnert, he said 'how could you not with all the great fucking tunes'. Was a bit odd the public being at clearly quite a private event, but I loved it. Have tried to upload some pics but it's not having it, I will do if I can get it working. Liked the film a lot more second time around, probably because I knew what to expect. I'm not too bothered with the autotune, it comes with Jarvis's input so I'll forgive the vanity.